Skip to main content

GC Summarised Report – 22nd April 2023

May 12, 2023

The Budgerigar Society

Summarised Report from the GC Meeting held on 22nd April 2023, at Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln, commencing at 10am.

Present – There was a full attendance of the GC plus the Society Administrator.

President’s Address – President Chris Snell wished everyone a very good morning and expressed how great it was to meet up face to face after all of our zoom meetings. He praised the location of the very beautiful Bomber Command Memorial Centre and encouraged Councillors to have a look around the grounds. He then handed back to the Chairman.

Chairman’s Welcome The Chairman Maurice Roberts also welcomed all to the second face to face GC Meeting of the current GC. He also added a special welcome to Simon Devaney on his inaugural face to face meeting.

Patronage Review

  1. The Patronage Administrator advised that in 2022 there were a total of 99 patronages awarded, of these 85 were completed and 14 cancelled. For 2023 there have been 83 confirmed applications. The new Best In Show incentive trophies will be awarded at the AGM to J. Newall (Gold – 6 BIS wins), G & J Al-Nasser (Silver – 4 wins), A & G Adams, R. Ford, I. Weeks and T & A Luke (Bronze – 3 Wins).

b Hastings BS – A letter from Hastings BS had been held over for the face-to-face meeting. The Chairman said that if any changes were made today, these must wait until the 2024 show season as many clubs had already organised their schedules for this year’s shows. He also added that when we undertake the review we should also include a letter from Dennis Cairns and  views from Councillors.

Considerations discussed included the BS offering clubs the opportunity to purchase additional patronage and clubs taking either an enhanced or reduced package. Further ideas around charging for BS Patronage were discussed, as clubs are currently only asked to contribute 4 first class stamps. A proposal for the Patronage Administrator to investigate this and come back to Council with ideas for consideration was agreed.

It was also unanimously agreed that the status quo will remain but to be reviewed annually. The Society will write to Dennis Cairns & Hastings BS and thank them for their letters.

d Colour Budgerigar Patronage offer to CC Shows – The Patronage Administrator advised there has been increased interest in extra Colour Budgerigar patronage. As well as South Hampshire BS application, which was granted earlier, there has been one further application from Ipswich BS which has also been granted. It was agreed that this patronage should not be the same as the National S&RV Show or the BS Club Show. It was agreed for this year that it will have 20 classes with 10 CC’s graded on the day. For a Gold Show this would increase to 20 CC’s for any age and young birds pre-graded with a minimum of 3 points. The National S&RV Show will be increased from 8 to 10 classes in each of the Any Age and Young Bird sections and granted 20 CC’s pre-graded with a minimum of 7 points. The BS Club Show will have 8 classes (Crest and Clearbody in AOC Class) in both Any Age & Young Bird, with the 16 CC’s being pre-graded at 10 points each. This was agreed with 12 for, 1 against and 1 not voting.

It was unanimously agreed that the Patronage Administrator investigate the various Colour Budgerigar packages so that we have a structured package on offer for the 2024 Show Season onward.

Club Show 2024 – Judges nominations – The Club Show Committee has reduced the number of judges for the 2023 show from 13 to 9 and the 4 who have stepped down are automatically chosen to judge in 2024 Show. They are Sue Clarke, John Cosby, Bev Hutt and Adrian Richards. To be added are the 2024 President Geoff Bowley, the Trainee Judge of the Year Laura O’Reilly and the overseas Judge Maarten Heylan plus Michael Chapman who had to cancel in 2022, due to covid. This leaves one vacancy plus reserves. After discussion and voting it was agreed that John Newall should be invited to judge in 2024. A further two judges were selected as reserves.

Club Show 2025 – It was proposed that past Presidents be invited to judge the Centenary Club Show in 2025. Nine judges plus reserves were selected from the list of former Presidents who are still judging and they will be contacted to judge the Club Show in the 100th year of the Society and the names will be announced once confirmed.

Silver Bird Award Nominations – The Silver Bird Trophy is offered annually for meritorious service or effort (excluding exhibiting) by a member of the Budgerigar Society on behalf of the Budgerigar Fancy. The Silver Bird was first awarded in 1936 and is our top achievement award. Three nominations were received by the closing date of 31 March for consideration. Following a vote Bob Francis was successful in becoming the GC nominee. Bob Francis graciously thanked the Council for supporting him and he was delighted to be the first Welshman to receive this award.

Judges Training Scheme Co-ordinator – we have three subsidiary judges currently completing their final year training and two new applicants starting the scheme.

A request has been received from Mick Freeborn to re-join the Main Judges Panel from the Retired Panel. Under our existing rules the member will have to show for one full year and submit a judge’s return form before the GC can consider his application.

A request to increase the existing BS Judges Fee from £10 to £20 was unanimously agreed.

Longtail/Longflights – this subject was raised before covid and with the cancellation of shows in 2020 and most shows in 2021 the GC had to wait and see how it was affecting shows in 2022. Mike Jarrold is extremely passionate about this topic and has written the BS to encourage the GC to decide how to handle this going forward.

After a very detailed discussion it was agreed that this problem is not as prevalent as it once was. The showing of such birds should be discouraged, and a record kept of birds that have transgressed this rule.

It was further agreed on a majority vote of 12 for and 2 against that any birds disqualified for being Longflight/Longtail should have their individual ring number, colour, variety and sex recorded on the CC record sheet by the judge. This change would be advised to exhibitors and judges via the Budgerigar prior to the Show Season. The new Judges Handbook will have to be amended in due course to reflect this change.

It was unanimously agreed that the Society develop the knowledge of our members and judges through education about these birds before and after judging has taken place, rather than look to penalise the judge for not recognising any exhibit as a potential Longflight/Longtail.

The GC agreed that this matter should be reviewed at the end of each show season to ensure that these measures are working.

Vice President Nominations – The GC will make a recommendation to the AGM for BS Vice President and the membership can also nominate someone at the AGM. Phil Reaney is the GC nomination.

Correspondence – A super offer from Sam Wildes to provide an aviary to promote the Society and hobby at the promotional events the Society attends was unanimously accepted.

APHA Consultation – Correspondence received from a member of the Society in conjunction with the NCA answering the consultation paper released by the government about registering all birds kept privately over a certain quantity. The Society Administrator advised he had answered this consultation paper and has had a further discussion with the member on the merits of all members and bird keepers answering this paper as individuals. A sample letter is available on the Society website in the News section.

Heads of the Valleys BS –has written to the office with the suggestion that the BS organise a national scheme with a bird purchasing company for members to sell their surplus stock. The GC sympathises but this had been tried before with little success due to logistics associated with collection and drop off points. It was suggested that Area Societies or local clubs might be better placed to organise this themselves.

2024 Rings – report from Jim Muir our Official Ring Inspector – with one minor exception which had been fixed the 2024 rings, which will be red in colour, are acceptable.

Members Survey Action Points

Events, Technical & Societies

  1. Consider holding an event for Novices & Juniors in conjunction with the 2024 AGM.

This was discussed and unanimously agreed that we will run an event in conjunction with the 2024 AGM aimed at Novice and Junior members. This would also encompass a meet and greet with the new GC after the AGM (see Engage point 1.)

  1. Consider reducing the use of Sub Groups and having an increase in GC Meetings as necessary as Sub Group felt that the GC has a heavy reliance on Sub Groups.

It was agreed that the current financial situation of the Society does not justify this expense, which can be negated with meetings via zoom. With regards to Sub Groups, it was unanimously agreed that they are a necessity and serve a purpose and should continue via zoom.

  1. Consider setting defined time frames expected of the BS Office to provide acknowledgement received and publish this time frame to the membership.

It was agreed that initial receipt of any correspondence should be acknowledged with a, “thank you for this; I shall get back to you when I have a fuller answer in this regard”.

  1. Consider agreeing to the creation of a Rule Guide Book to make the Rule Book less onerous.

After a short discussion it was unanimously agreed that what is required is an index. An investigation into the practicalities of producing one will be held.

It was noted that it has been some time since the BS rules had been written, and there are some which are out of date.  It was agreed that we should try and find a member with the correct background to undertake this task. Any member wishing to volunteer to undertake this work, please contact the Office.


  1. Consider a meet the GC as carried out following 2022 AGM.

See point 1. Events, Technical & Societies above.

  1. Consider issuing badges for GC Members to wear at Shows and other events to counter criticism of lack of contact with GC at big shows.

All GC Members have been issued with name badges and it was agreed that these should be worn at BS Patronage shows and events to ensure that members can recognise Council members.


  1. GC to consider a directive/recommendation for exhibits displaying feathers over the eyes making birds potentially not able to see.

This item was sent back to the Showing Sub Group for further detailed recommendations.

  1. Colour Standards booklet review to consider including photos of all varieties, colours and combination. Also, with guidance in booklet to which class each bird is to be showing.

This is currently under review and the Colour Standards review sub group will bear this in mind and report back after their next meeting.

  1. Consider issuing CC’s for Any Age and Young Birds at all BS Patronage Shows.

This issue was returned to the Showing Sub Group for further detailed recommendations.

Date(s) and subject(s) for our next GC meeting – It was unanimously agreed that future GC meetings will continue to be held via Zoom, they should last no longer than two hours and be on the second Thursday of every month, should business dictate. The first being held on the 11th May 2023.

The meeting closed at 4pm.


    Your Basket
    Your basket is emptyReturn to Shop