Skip to main content

Author: TUX1

ANNOUNCEMENT OF REORGANISATION OF ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES

After completing a restructuring within the Budgerigar Society, the General Council have decided to make the role of Society Administrator redundant due to the financial situation of the Society and announce the following new positions.

Mr Simpson will be taking on this role in addition to his existing Patronage responsibilities.

  • Administration of membership subscriptions and management of the society database.
  • Managing postal ring orders and act as the interface between members, ring supplier and ring inspector.
  • Ensuring a smooth transition for online orders of rings which shall be processed directly by the Ring Supplier.
  • Act as initial point of contact for all disciplinary matters.

Society Secretary. Mr Adrian Terheege. Contact no 07984 430053, Email GeneralCouncil@budgerigarsociety.com

Mr Terheege has agreed to fill this position until a permanent replacement is appointed and shall be undertaken in addition to his other responsibilities within the General Council.

  • Management of correspondence both incoming and outgoing.
  • Minute taker at General Council, finance, disciplinary, club show and Annual General Meetings and all other required meetings.

Treasurer Mr Grant Findlay.

Mr Findlay will be taking on this role in addition to his other responsibilities within the General Council.

  • All aspects of finance relating to the society.

Countrywide Seed Coordinator. Mr Ghalib Al-Nasser. Contact no 01787 282332, email alnasser@gmail.com.

Mr Al-Nasser will be taking on this role in addition to his other responsibilities within the General Council.

  • Will place seed orders from members and act as the interface between the seed supplier including dealing with the associated society sponsorship.

Product Manager. Currently under review

All remaining duties currently carried out by the Society Administrator shall be carried out by the following in addition to their existing roles.

  • Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
  • Magazine Editor
  • Publicity Officer

All the above new roles are non-salaried positions and the General council ask for your patience as these new positions are assimilated into the society.

Finally, the General Council would like to recognise the significant contribution Jason Julian has made to the Society during his time as Society Administrator. Jason has worked tirelessly over the past three years, and they would like to express their sincere thanks and best wishes to him for the future.

Rings & Things

The General Council is pleased to announce that all members ordering rings for 2025 will receive a free ring holder with their first order.

Members ordering rings from the web site will then be given the opportunity to purchase the following special Centenary offer.

Heavy duty ring cutters £6.00
16g crop needle £3.00
Splayed leg bracelets 3,4 & 5mm £3.50
These can be purchased individually or the total bundle cost is £12.50 offering a huge saving.
These items will then be added to your ring order and posted with your rings at no extra cost. This offer runs until the 1st December 2024 only.
This Incentive we hope will encourage more members to use the online facility which will save the Society on admin costs

 

 

Summarised Report of the Minutes of the BS General Council meeting held on Thursday 9th May 2024

Summarised Report of the Minutes of the BS General Council meeting held on Thursday 9th May 2024

Chairman’s Welcome – The Chairman began the meeting by welcoming everyone and thanking them for their attendance.

Apologies for Absence –Trevor Terheege – prior engagement.

Minutes of previous meeting held on 11th April 2024 where unanimously approved. Matters arising, there were none.

AGM Debrief – The Chairman expressed that he felt that the recent AGM had been a success.  He thanked Adrian Terheege and all the team of helpers that made the day a very enjoyable occasion. Harry also apologised for the meeting running over the allotted time, but felt it warranted being a tad longer due to the exceptional situation the BS is in at this moment.

Final Online Raffle Update – Adrian Terheege advised the AGM’s final totals were:-

Income – £4,348, Expenditure – £377.20, Total Profit – £3,970.80

(Note – excludes £100 deposit for hall).

Terms of Reference Document(s) (ToR’s)

It was agreed to leave the current ToR’s as they are for the moment, as all GC members are in agreement with the current format for the time being, and their review will be scheduled in for a later meeting.  It was further agreed that the ToR for the Club Show should also be left until the matter of a Club Show Committee is discussed and decided. These suggestions were accepted unanimously.

Inter Area Society Show – Weekend of 22/09/2024

Adrian Terheege advised that he has been planning an Inter Area Society show to be held on the vacated BS Club Show date of 21st/22nd September.  He explained that this will now be on the same day as a UKBC show and this he was at pains to explain was not a deliberate clash. He has been working on this concept for some months and has only just received confirmation of the hall booking and has in the last few days written to all Area Society Secretaries with an invite to participate. The event will not be a cost to the BS as it shall be the sole responsibility of the Area Societies to hold. It was unanimously agreed that the BS should support the proposed event by granting it Gold Patronage.

Letter Regarding Local Club Dispute Matter

The Chairman brought to the attention an email received from a BS member partnership.   This related to a local club incident.  Following a lengthy discussion, it was agreed by a vote of 11 in favour and 2 abstentions that the GC do not involve themselves in this matter for reason this is an internal one for the specific club to deal with.  The Administrator requested to advise the members of the GC decision.

BS Finances

Current financial position – The Society Administrator supplied an up to date financial statement  in advance of the meeting, including details of projected income and expected outgoings.  He expressed his concern over the current cash flow position of the Society.

The GC were informed that at the present time the Society has in its Bank Account £3,882 plus a further £13,098 in the Building Society Account. This makes a total of £16,980. This includes the loans and donations from members received in recent months and the AGM event incomes.

Grant Findlay advised further that the tenants within the Society building pay part of the insurance for the Northampton property.

To improve the Society cash flow year on year, going forwards, it would be considered next year whether the subscription renewal forms went out earlier.  At this time magazine printing dates are already agreed and cannot be changed.

A discussion took place about why are we using next year’s subs in our calculations for this year.  It was explained to the new GC member asking that this has always been common practice and until recently with the depletion of funds from the account it was never an issue.

Officials Budget Forecast/Requests – All departments were thanked by the Vice Chair  for submitting their forecasts in a timely fashion:-

Patronage – The idea of increasing the patronage fee to clubs was discussed. A suggestion that the patronage fee should be on a tiered level and that clubs should be given the ability to pay for whatever patronage level they wish was made.  The GC agreed with the Patronage Administrator’s spend in line with their forecasted submission. This subject will be fully discussed at a later date.

Editor – No extra monies required beyond that already agreed.

Judges Training Coordinator – No extra monies required

Publicity – No extra monies required

WBO Representative – WBO budget will be a similar sum to previous years, but below £500.

Accountant offer of help – The Chairman advised that Grant Findlay had spoken to a BS member who was a Chartered Accountant, over the phone and they had also met at the recent AGM. He went on to state that he had raised some great ideas such as : looking at the subs on a 0% tax bracket, he also advised this if granted could possibly be back dated 4 years. He also touched on looking into charitable status as well as special status regarding Cooperation tax.

It was proposed and unanimously agreed that the member be asked if he would be willing to do the end of the year audit/accounts too as well as contact the appropriate authorities to investigate the subs at 0% VAT and to obtain a quote for the audit work.

Members Zoom Meeting Attendance – Adrian Terheege advised he had had a good response from members on this topic.  After discussion, it was agreed that up to 6 members of the GC would attend these meetings also and if a topic could be agreed in advance Councillors could come with information etc on this topic.  Harry Hockaday, Grant Findlay, Jon Ashby and Pete Smith all agreed to be on the first meeting in support of Adrian. It was agreed the first subject would be on improving BS Finances.

It was agreed that Adrian Terheege should contact those members who had expressed an interest in attending to acknowledge this, advise them of the subject and also ask for questions on this subject prior to the zoom meeting invite being sent.

100 club update – It was suggested that the members email list should be used to advertise the 100 Club and that this should be sent out on or around the 15th and 30th of the month.  This will give all of our members an opportunity to support this ongoing fund raiser.  The 100Club administrator, Adrian Richards, was thanked specifically by the Chair and Vice Chair for all of his hard work on this project.

Phil Reaney Letter ref one off membership levy – After discussion of this positive idea, it was agreed after it was necessary to impress upon the membership at the recent AGM that the only solution to the current financial situation is to raise more funds, this mainly being achieved via an increase in the annual subscriptions, a resolution which only narrowly passed at the AGM, despite everyone in the room agreeing the Society needed more money; therefore, this suggestion which although on paper sounds good, it is not appropriate at this time to request an additional £20 for one year only from all paying members.  Members who wish to support the Society with additional funds can do so by way of the donation box on their renewal form when it arrives in the next edition of the Budgerigar. Alternatively, members can support the new 100 Club.  The Administrator to advise Phil Reaney of the GC’s decision and thank him for his continued support of the Society.

Club Show/Convention

Feedback from Blackpool Visit – The GC were advised that we are still awaiting the final proposal from the event staff at Blackpool, following a visit by a number of GC members in recent days, including the Chairman. However, it is felt that the venue can meet our needs for the Show and a ball park figure not exceeding £5k, a significant saving against the Dome prices. It was agreed that on the basis of these figures quoted the Blackpool venue would be booked.

The new event would now become the 100 year anniversary Club Show Celebrating 100 years of the Budgerigar Society, The show for 2024 is cancelled and this is the 2025 show.

It was also discussed that to save the Society additional funds the 2025 AGM should be held on the 8th June 2025 during the Blackpool event.  This would also save members and officials having to travel to two separate events. While this would be a slight infringement of the rules (as the AGM has to be held in April or May annually) he felt that when explained to members the vast majority would accept the logic in this. The suggestion was unanimously agreed by the GC.

It was debated whether with the breeder of the year points and the postponement of the 2024 Club Show, would the points from the Centenary 100 year anniversary Show count toward it or not.  It was agreed they would not and any points at the Centenary Clubs Show in 2025 would count only towards the 2025 final standings.

The Chairman advised that due to the space issues it is unlikely that the 2025 Club Show can be benched by colour on this occasion.

Future Sub Group/Committee for 2025 Blackpool event – It was agreed to raise this at a future meeting.

Structure and frequency of future GC meetings – It was agreed to leave the finer details of this for the moment.

Date(s) and subject(s) of next meeting –This shall be advised by the office at a later date.

Close of Meeting – 21:51hrs

Summarised Minutes of the BS General Council meeting held on Thursday 11 th April 2024

Summarised Minutes of the BS General Council meeting held on Thursday 11th April 2024

All GC members were present, along with Jason M Julien (Society Administrator).

  1. Chairman’s Welcome – The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting, congratulating the three new Councillors on joining the Council. All three candidates thanked the Chair and gave a short address to Council.

The Chair expressed his commiserations to the two unsuccessful candidates, Terry Tuxford & Jim Muir.

Ghalib Al-Nasser questioned newly elected Councillor Jon Ashby regarding his association with the UK Budgerigar Club and his role of Treasurer/Moderator, “A rival organisation, and surely a conflict of interests”.  Jon Ashby explained he was proud of his association with the UKBC, which he explained was founded after the previous BS GC Elections; he feels that they (UKBC) have cornered the market with regards to people keeping single pet type budgies and those keeping stock within garden aviaries. Jon stated he did not foresee there being any conflict of interests either now or in the future.

The Chair then drew the Councils attention to a letter jointly submitted by the current Chairman (Maurice Roberts) and Vice Chairman (Grant Findlay), regarding their intention to not seek reelection to their current posts.

Maurice also wished it minuted that, despite what was being said on social media and in certain quarters, he and Grant had not resigned from their positions but were simply not standing for the office of Chairman or Vice Chairman.

Maurice Roberts and Grant Findlay were both thanked for their hard work as Chairman  over the past 12 years, and 3 years as Vice Chairman and as former Administrator.  The other roles they had held, including sub group involvement, were also acknowledged.

  1. Apologies for Absence – None
  2. Terms of Reference Document (ToR’s) – It was suggested and unanimously agreed that rather than get into a debate about the contents of the TOR during this first meeting, when many other items required agreement, the Council would work with the current TOR’s and then discuss any proposed alterations, additions etc at a future meeting.
  3. Election of Officers – After nominations were received prior to this first General Council meeting and any necessary voting completed, the following were elected to serve the Society for the forthcoming three year term, 2024 to 2027.

GC OFFICERS & COMMITTEE MEMBERS 2024-2027

Position                                      Names

Chairman                                     Harry Hockaday

Vice Chairman                             Adrian Terheege

Patronage Administrator               Ronnie Simpson

Judges Training Co-ordinator        Trevor Terheege

Publicity Officer                            Jon Ashby

NCA Delegates (3)                       Maurice Roberts, Chris Snell, Ghalib Al-Nasser. Reserve NCA Delegate John Cosby

WBO Delegate                             Grant Findlay.   Reserve WBO Delegate               Maurice Roberts

GC Board (C + VC + 3)                (C) Harry Hockaday, (VC) Adrian Terheege, Grant Findlay, Ghalib Al-Nasser, Trevor Terheege.  Reserve Board Member  Maurice Roberts

GC Budget Sub-Group (C + VC + 3)    (C) Harry Hockaday, (VC) Adrian Terheege, Bob Francis, Maurice Roberts, Grant Findlay. Reserve Budget Member  Ronnie Simpson

Social Secretary                           Adrian Richards

Show Cage Inspector                   Adrian Richards

Ring Inspector                             Jim Muir

Contract/HR Manager               Adrian Terheege

Official Historian                        Ghalib Al-Nasser

Rules Administrator                 Ghalib Al-Nasser

Society Trustees                         Janice Al-Nasser, Grant Findlay, Dave Hislop, Maurice Roberts

Disciplinary Panel                        20 Members (2 From each Area) – Current names as per BS Website. (TBC subject to updated nominations from Area Societies)

Club Show Committee                  To be determined at a later date

The Society Administrator was also tasked to confirm with the Area Societies secretaries around the composition of the members nominated to be on the Disciplinary Panel.  The Area Societies will be given until the end June 2024 to confirm any changes to the existing names. If an Area doesn’t respond by the closing date then it was agreed to continue with the existing named persons from each Area.

  1. Club Show 2024 – The cancellation/postponement of the 2024 Club show and planned combined event for the 100th anniversary Convention was discussed. John Cosby advised that the Parrot Society General Secretary, Les Rance, had been in touch re holding the show in conjunction with them and the National.

The Chairman, Harry Hockaday, advised that having made the announcement to the membership regarding the postponement/cancellation of the Club Show 2024, it would be unfair to revisit this issue, as members needed continuity and the fact that most would have cancelled or made other arrangements for that weekend meant it would be unfair to advise them of a further change for this year.

  1. Society Accountants – Grant Findlay advised the meeting about the existing wording of Rule at 19(g), in which it makes ref to “Auditors”. Audited Accounts is terminology of years gone by and Grant advised he had spoken to the accountants on several occasion on this issue. The accountants had explained that they do most of what an Auditor would have done years ago. The terminology is rarely used now. To that end, Grant suggested at the next opportunity available the Rules should be adjusted in order that this outdated term is amended in the Rules. This was unanimously agreed.

Grant also advised, that during previous GC discussions, the type of software that is used by the Society office for accounting purposes was raised, and so he had therefore asked the accountant about the various operating systems for this task and which they recommended.  The accountant’s immediate response was that the Society are using the best on the market in the form of “Xero”.

Grant also reminded General Council that at the forthcoming AGM, the Council are meant to address the question of appointing Auditor’s, suggesting that we explain to members that we are still looking for a cheaper alternative at the moment and the details of which, when chosen by the GC, would be advised to members via the Budgerigar magazine.  This was agreed.

  1. Silver Bird Award – After discussion it was agreed by a Majority that Fred Wright shall be the recipient of this year’s Silver Bird Award. Maurice thanked Council for supporting his nomination and agreed to call Fred with the good news.

Additionally, it was suggested and agreed that nominees that were unsuccessful this year should be considered next year.

Vice President – After reviewing the 4 nominations and voting, it was agreed that Pete & Sue Smith of Yorkshire Shall be the nomination(s) of the Council at the AGM for this Role.

It was agreed that the names of both the Silver Bird winner and the GC Vice President nomination to the AGM should be kept totally confidential.

  1. Request to speak at AGM – Letters had been received from P Leedham, K Leedham, B Greenway & S Holland to speak at the forthcoming AGM. The first two letters were deemed not to be AGM business, while the Greenway letter did not contain any questions but simply a request to speak on numerous general topics. For these reasons the requests from the first three mentioned members were all unanimously declined. The Administrator was instructed to respond to all three in time for the AGM. The S Holland letter was accepted.

G Findlay advised the new members of the GC that the last GC had recently discussed a letter from Sean Garbett which contained some excellent ideas and observations and they had agreed that as there may be other members such as Mr Garbett within our midst that we should hold an open Zoom meeting for members to come forward with ideas etc. it was agreed that this should be included in the response to the three members and to also mention that the new GC will meet and listen to members at the forthcoming AGM. The S Holland letter was accepted for him to speak at the AGM and the Administrator was requested to advise him accordingly.

  1. Date(s) and subject(s) of next meeting – It was agreed the next meeting of the GC will be held on 9th May 2024, online through the Zoom application.

100 Club Update

The Budgerigar society Draw is going very well and the numbers are selling really fast.
If you want a number please get in contact with BS Social Secretary, Adrian Richards, all details are on the advertising poster.
Please get in touch before the end of May so we are ready for the Draw at the beginning week of June.
Help the BS to sell 100 tickets or more, if we can.
Remember the payout is 50-50 split to the winners and the BS, regardless if we sell less or more than 100 numbers, if we sell more than 100 we pay out even more money.

So let’s try and sell 100 numbers, so the winner gets £100 as well as three more prizes to be won.
Get your numbers on the BS lucky Wheel ready for the June Draw.

BS Rule Change Results

The results of the 2024 Budgerigar Society membership vote on four resolutions, announced during the AGM on 21st April 2024, are as follows:-

367 valid voting papers were received by the due date.

1 voting paper was invalid because it was unsigned, undated and without BS ID.

May be an image of text that says "For Against 197 163 Resolution 1 (Failed) 2 (Failed) 3 (Passed) 4 (Failed) Abstentions 176 7 Total 182 224 9 108 367 367 195 35 35 164 8 367 367"

BS 100 Club

Budgerigar Society Monthly Number Draw – 100 Club

The Budgerigar Society social secretary Adrian Richards will be running a Number Draw and hopefully starting the first week of June. Please support the BS and make contact with Adrian to pay and get your lucky number. Many ways to pay – see the advert below – and decide what’s the best payment method for you, but let Adrian know if you have paid directly via the BS Bank transfer payment.

The closing date will be the first Monday each month and the draw will be the first Friday, starting in June.

All winners will be notified straight after the draw and payment to the winners asap.

Adrian’s contact details are as follows.

Mobile: 07946529456

E-Mail: adrianrichards1960@yahoo.co.uk

BS AGM Timings For The Show & Bird Sales

The Budgerigar Society Novice & Junior Members Show and Member’s Sales Day.

To be held in conjunction with the 2024 Annual General Meeting at Bugbrooke Community Centre, Northampton, NN7 3RW on 21st April 2024.

Timings For The Show & Bird Sales

09:00 – 10.30 – Book in Sales Birds using the side door.

09:00 – 10.30 – Book in Junior & Novice birds using main entrance.

11.00 – 12.00 – Budgerigar Society Annual General Meeting.

12.00 – 12:30 – Meet & Question the New BS General Council.

12:30 – Lunch ~ Sales Birds Open ~ Colour Recognition Competition.

13.00 – 14:00 – Colour Recognition Presentation by Sam Wildes.

14:00 – Show opens to view birds.

15:00 – Raffle followed by Presentation.

15:30 – Meeting Closes, Lifting Birds.

 

X
0
    0
    Your Basket
    Your basket is emptyReturn to Shop