General News Item Title
Annual General Meeting
Sunday 28th April 2013
Following the President’s address, the inauguration of the new President took place seeing Roy Aplin take over the coveted role. Charlie Bowman was instated as President Elect and Bev Hutt was appointed Vice President.
The Silver Bird award was accepted by Grant Findlay on behalf of Dave Whittaker who had given his apologies in advance of the meeting in view of a family celebration.
Subscription rates remain the same for 2014 at 2013 rates
The next AGM was set for 27 April 2014.
General Council Meeting
The following summarises the main points from the GC meeting on 27 April:
- BS Office – the existing telephone number for the office remains in use as well as the address and fax number. If the Society Administrator is not able to answer your call, please leave a message on the answer phone. All messages will be returned.
- BS Club Show – following a referral from the Club Show committee, the GC approved investment into the show in order to enhance the show experience in an attempt to increase attendees/exhibitors.
- BS Subscriptions – there will be a freeze on the cost of membership subscriptions for 2014. This is the first year in a long time since no increase was imposed on BS members.
- Rings – the price of BS rings is to increase by 1p in anticipation of increased costs of production.
- BS Office Letting – the BS office will be offered for rent on the open market via appointed commercial agents in the Northampton area.
- Appointment Costs – following the restructure of the administration roles, the remuneration to be paid under each role is confirmed as follows:
- Society Administrator – £12,000 pa
- Patronage Administrator – £1,500 pa
- Promotion Administrator – £7,500 pa
This presents significant cost savings from the previous administration and helps future proof the cash flow of the BS against increased costs and potential decline in subscription income.
- BS Website – the overhaul/replacement of the current website format is to be progressed.
- Vice President – Bev Hutt was put forward as nominee for the role of Vice President ahead of the AGM.
- Judges Meeting – a judges meeting is planned for 2014.
- New GC Board – the new GC Board elected by the members of the GC and tasked with the management of the GC and BS matters comprises the following: Maurice Roberts, Ghalib Al-Nasser, Richard Miller, Donald McCallum, Gren Norris, Terry Jukes and Bev Hutt. Michael Chapman will act as reserve member.
- B.S. National Patronage – the budgerigar show at Stafford is to be allocated the “B.S. National” status and Gold Patronage with the aim of promoting the exhibition hobby to a wider bird keeping audience.
- Silver Bird – Dave Whittaker is to receive the Silver Bird award.
Don Ashby sadly passed away on 22nd May, 2013 aged 92.
Don was a real stalwart of the fancy and a great servant to the Budgerigar Society over many decades. He served a lengthy period on Council and was Past President in 1996/7, awarded the Silver Bird in 1997, received Honorary Life Membership in 2001 and was a former Society Trustee. The main room in the BS Offices where the GC meets is named the Ashby Suite after Don generously donated funds towards the purchase of the building in 2000.
Dave Whittaker’s Retirement
Our Secretary/Treasurer Dave Whittaker retired from his post on 28th March after serving the society for 19 years. The reception for Dave’s retirement on 21st March at the B.S. Office went very well, although the number able to attend was disappointing, although understandable on a weekday.
Dave was very pleased with his gifts (glass vase obtained by Terry Jukes and the holiday voucher); Grant Findlay and Ghalib Al-Nasser both made short speeches prior to the presentation which we did with Michael Chapman. Following this Janice Al-Nasser & Beverley Hutt presented Lin (Dave’s wife) with a bouquet of flowers. It was good that Stephen Hughes of A.C. Hughes (society’s Ring Maker) was able to attend as well.
We all enjoyed the buffet provided by Janice Al-Nasser.
Left to Right
Janice Al-Nasser, Michael Chapman, Grant Findlay, Dave Whittaker, Beverley Hutt & Ghalib Al-Nasser.
Left to Right
Janice Al-Nasser, Lin Whittaker, Dave Whittaker & Beverley Hutt.
Group photo of all those who attended.
The Budgerigar Society are delighted to announce the appointment of Mat Ackers as the new Promotion Administrator.
Following the creation of the new role by the General Council, the position was advertised within the fancy and attracted a high number of applicants. The selection was narrowed down so that interviews could be held at the BS offices in Northampton under the scrutiny of the Board of the GC. After much consideration by the panel, it was felt that the person most suitable for conducting marketing and promotion on behalf of the Society with reference to the job description outlined was Novice breeder and exhibitor, Mat Ackers.
BS Chairman and President, Maurice Roberts commented: “The GC are thrilled to have found an individual with the experience and obvious capabilities that Mat has to be able to take on this role and deliver a much needed kick start to the new era of enhanced communication regarding our wonderful hobby with both existing enthusiasts and untapped potential new target groups.”
Publicity Officer for the BS, Richard Miller also stated: “What helped Mat stand out from the other candidates was his marketing experience within his current employment and his role within the evolution of the Exhibition Budgerigar Forum (“EBF”). I have every confidence that Mat will be able to deploy a team that can deliver upon the objectives to be set by the GC.”
Mat is employed as a senior technical officer in public health services and has extensive knowledge of marketing and public relations. He will officially start in his new role on 1 June in anticipation of the 2013 Show Season. Mat commented on his appointment: “I am thrilled to be given the opportunity of working with the BS within the new structure. My appointment and ability to fulfill this role would not be possible without the experience gained working with the EBF”.
The BS is committed to increasing membership numbers and bringing the hobby to the attention of new audiences. In addition, the manner in which the Society keeps its current membership informed is a priority for Mat to address. The soon-to-be Society Administrator and current Vice-Chairman, Grant Findlay stated: “One comment made during the interview really showed that the demographic of the BS membership was fully appreciated. The recognition that in a world that has been overcome by the establishment of everything online, there are many of our members who do not own a computer or have access to the internet and therefore the new PA will need to be able to deliver effective communication with those individuals as well as the online generation.”
Decisions made at the BS GC meeting 2 February 2013
1. Consultation paper to be issued for proposed changes to classification for 2014 show season
2. Approval of GC Board proposals re division of Secretary roles.
3. GC is to explore letting opportunities of BS office (not to be sold)
4. Grant Findlay to step down as Vice Chairman on commencement of role as Society Administrator.
5. New Vice Chairman appointed effective from April 2013 – Ghalib Al-Nasser
6. New pro-forma document to be introduced for judges to be proposed by societies/individuals for BS World Championship Show
7. 2015 convention to be organised by Terry & Linda Jukes and John Cosby in the vicinity of Stoke-on-Trent
8. Proposed rule change for members to decide upon for 2015 – reduction to 4 show status by removing Intermediate status.
9. New BS Stand to be commissioned by kind donation to the Society with the theme of promoting the hobby.
10. To review the BS website and investigate the possibility of BS Intranet
11. Grant Findlay and Michael Chapman – GC unanimous support for them to remain as Council members in their roles from April 2013
BS GENERAL SECRETARY & TREASURER
The General Secretary & Treasurer, Dave Whittaker will retire from his duties after 18 years service on 28th March 2013.
The General Council wish to thank Dave for all his sterling work for the Society over these years and wish him a long, happy and relaxing retirement in the years ahead.
The General Council have examined the best way forward in anticipation of the Secretary’s retirement and elected to split the existing duties into 3 distinct roles. It is hoped that the separation of these duties will ensure that BS members receive the best service possible and that the hobby is actively promoted by all means available. The anticipated functions associated with these positions is summarised below
SOCIETY ADMINISTRATOR – conduct Membership Subscriptions, Ring Orders, all Correspondence (including email), Sale of Promotional items, Web site supervision, Rules, Meeting Minute taker & Treasurer duties.
PATRONAGE ADMINISTRATOR – Applications for Patronage, all Patronage correspondence, distribution of Patronage and receiving returns, collating & tabulating Patronage results for publication on BS Website & Magazine.
PROMOTION ADMINISTRATOR – attend key events as specified by the General Council, Promotion of the Society & Hobby, Sponsorship & Advertising, Media Liaison & Publicity, Management of Publicity Channels such as the BS website, Facebook & Twitter.
Given the immediate need to ensure the continuing functionality of the Society from the end of March, the General Council are delighted to announce that the appointment of Grant Findlay (current Vice Chairman and former Chairman) as Society Administrator following his recent early retirement from work.
The General Council are also delighted to announce that Michael Chapman (General Council member) has been appointed as Patronage Administrator in readiness for the preparations ahead of the 2013 show season.
The exciting new role of Promotional Administrator will be advertised immediately (see Advert below) and it is hoped that the new person will commence their duties on 3rd June, 2013.
Category: General News | Posted on 06/09/2012 by TBS Admin