The Budgerigar Society – A Brief History of the Society
Since the naturalist, John Gould, (follow link on the left hand column to read a tribute) introduced the small grass parakeet to England in 1840 no other variety of small cage bird has created as much interest as the Budgerigar. And the Budgerigar Society in Great Britain can rightly claim that it is the most well-organised and efficiently run society out of all branches of the cage bird fraternity, with its own headquarters building in Spring Gardens Northampton. The Budgerigar for many years has been acclaimed as the most popular house pet.
The history of the Budgerigar Society (BS) has been eventful since the initial set up in 1925: the BS now has a membership approaching 3,000 with an office, a full time secretary/treasurer to deal with all daily queries, membership, correspondence, minutes of meetings, ring orders, for taking show entries for the World Championship show staged at the Doncaster Dome every September, and many other tasks too numerous to mention.
The society has, over the years, been based in a number of locations, but is now firmly established in Northampton, in premises purchased from the society’s funds. This purchase has been proved to be extremely wise, and has further established the Budgerigar Society among its peers in the livestock fancy. Indeed, our premises are now widely used by other organisations within the aviculture fancy.
February 1925 saw the formation of the first BUDGERIGAR CLUB (BC) at the Grand National Show at Crystal Palace. There were 18 founder members, most were prominent personalities with titles attached to their names including eight fellows of the Zoological Society. The subscription was fixed at 25p; this figure would most probably be twice the current subscription (£21.50) had it been kept in line with inflation and the cost of living.
The first club show was held in 1926 in conjunction with the National, only nine classes were available and 100 birds were benched. By comparison with today’s Club Show in Doncaster where there are some 740 classes with an entry of 3,000+.
And as early as 1926 the BC had patronage to offer shows with the stipulation that at least two classes for budgerigars must be provided to obtain patronage. A Judges’ Panel was formed with 11 members on the panel (presently there are 160+), led by the Marquis of Tavistock. Currently the BS runs its own Judges Training Scheme, which lasts for 3 years before a trainee judge can take his/her final test to qualify as a full BS Main Panel Judge.
Within the first five years, the BC commenced issuing its BULLETIN four times a year, a format that continued till the eighties when both size and number of issues increased. Standardised show cages became compulsory in 1929. A Colour Committee was formed to look into new colours and mutations, and the first of the Area Societies, Western Counties BS, was formed in 1928; The first Team Class was staged and A.C. Hughes had begun to make closed coded rings at 25p for 100.
The BS has organised many World Conventions, the first in 1954 and since then in 1959, 1975, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000 , 2006 and, most recently, 2010.
A Royal Patron
The name of the Budgerigar Club was changed in 1930 to the society’s current name “The Budgerigar Society”. This change occurred when His Majesty, King George V, accepted an invitation to become Patron of the Club. His request that the name be changed from the BC to BS was to the interest of the Society. During the mid 1950’s (the Golden Era of the BS) membership stood at 21,000.
A term used loosely for the bird keeping fraternity that consists of the Canary fancy, the British Bird fancy, the Budgerigar fancy and the Foreign Bird (including Parrots) fancy. Those who keep any of these types of birds are called “Fanciers”.
For further information please do not hesitate to contact the Secretary
Grant Findlay at: The Budgerigar Society, 6 Toutie Street, Alyth, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH11 8BP.
Phone:- 01828 633030.
Can You Help?
For some time now, we have been working on the compilation of the History of the society, and hope, eventually to build a comprehensive archive of the development of the society since its foundation in 1925, and hopefully with additional background material regarding the fancy before the budgerigar Society was formed.
We hope to collect as many facts as possible, with photographic material or other illustrations.
An outline document containing contributions from Ian Instone, Barbara Moizer and the late Ron Bissell, is posted on this site under the title Archives and much material is yet to be added, thanks to work completed by Roy Stringer to date.
This page, if limited because of the volume of material, will contain a bibliography pointing to the full document and will acknowledge each individual contributor.
If you have anything to add, please contact me as soon as possible on firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to 6, Chatsworth Street, High Barnes, Sunderland.