THE BUDGERIGAR SOCIETY

Summarised Report of the General Council Meeting of the Budgerigar Society held on 18th February 2017 at the Budgerigar Society Office with the following decisions being ratified:

  • A minute’s silence was observed in memory of the recent loss of Past President’s wife, Margaret Bowman, together with other members who had passed away since our last meeting.
  • It was agreed to further investigate the purchase of a new Society’s Presidential Chain now as the quotes obtained to add 27 links to the current chain till 2025 proved too expensive.
  • The Society has booked the Best Western Stoke-on-Trent Moat House Hotel for its Convention 2020, this is the same venue as the 2015 Convention.
  • Investigation into a Budgie Breeding App for our members showed that it is aimed more for pet breeders and a certain fee would be needed to operate it. It was agreed not to pursue this project.
  • Annual appraisals to be conducted on the three salaried staff and for the posts to be reviewed on a regular basis.
  • The Premier Champion concept was discussed more fully with criteria agreed upon and for a full document to be put to the members in the magazine before submitting it as a proposed Rule change to vote on in the 2018 Rule Change Year, if the concept constitutes a Rule change.
  • New additions were made to both the Main & Subsidiary Judges Panels and some were removed or added to the Retired Panel.
  • It was agreed for G. Findlay, R. Millar & R. Simpson to meet with 3 members of the Northern BS to finalise the format, speakers & judges for the Spring Event at the Holiday Inn, Scotch Corner, Darlington, over the weekend of 28/29 April, 2018 with the BS AGM to be held on the Sunday at the same venue.
  • Welsh BS were the first to view the new power point presentation highlighting the B.S. structure and its activities. Councillors were encouraged to carry out these presentations at Area Societies and report back with feedback by Feb 2018.
  • 20 Rule Changes will be put forward to members, via a postal ballot, and the results will be announced at the forthcoming AGM. This is mainly a tidying up exercise to correct anomalies in the current rules.
  • Correspondence received from M. Chase re-Council election, Public Address by councillors and special Notice in a special edition of The Budgerigar. Kinani Team re-App for pet lovers (Council agreed not to proceed), from C. Greatorex re-disillusionment with the current size of the modern budgerigar which led him not to renew his membership; from Mid Essex BS re-clashing date of the September Council meeting with their show (Council agreed to change this date) and from Dr R. Travnicek requesting separate classes at championship shows for Greywings (Council agreed to review in 2019 after Dr Travnicek’s welcome Sponsorship of the Greywing section at the Club Show had ended).
  • The Society Administrator reported that membership at the end of 2016 stood at 2,243 (drop of 8% from 2015). The Society finances are sound and healthy.
  • Judges will be asked to be more vigilant with overseas rings with birds shown in young bird classes as the overseas rings, unlike BS rings, do not have the flat part with the year on it and should not be shown in Young Bird classes at BS Patronage shows.
  • Structural repairs were carried out on the BS property and a Fire Alarm system has been installed with gas central heating to be installed this year.
  • Country Wide Seed is to continue with its welcome sponsorship of the Society.
  • The website sub-group hope to explore the viability and costing of having short videos on the BS website giving a full review to newcomers of what is available from our hobby.    
  • The new Patronage Administrator, Ronnie Simpson, reported on the stock that he holds of cage labels with the old sponsors details on them. It was agreed that clubs can use these for Members Shows etc. These can be obtained from him on request. His investigation showed that 866 members exhibited during the year representing approx 40% of the membership.
  • The Patronage Administrator is streamlining the Show Patronage paperwork and hopes to reduce this for the forthcoming show season.
  • WBO – Grant Findlay was congratulated on being appointed Vice Chairman. Among the items discussed at the latest meeting were Research and the standard relating to the head description of the budgerigar. Both matters would be discussed further.
  • Council is discussing potential improvements for promotion from the various Status.
  • Avian Flu – the restriction date has been extended and members are reminded that robust bio-security must be present at all shows and bird gatherings. 

 

Dates of Next Meetings

GC Meetings – Saturday 22nd April 2017                  

AGM – Sunday 23rd April 2017 (Bugbrooke)

Thursday 26th October 2017

Saturday 17th February 2018

Friday 27th April 2018 (Scotch Corner)

Sunday 29th April 2018 (AGM – Scotch Corner)



Facebook Facebook

twitter Twitter




Slideshow Gallery